Mudlet is not responding or telling me when its link dead?

ella

Mudlet is not responding or telling me when its link dead?

Post by ella »

I recently switched providers to a wireless modem, the computer isent wireless but it gives out a wireless signal for the ps3 or whatever. My problem is that it will suddenly stop responding, and I dont know that it did untill I try to use a command. I then have to restart the page and log back in ect ect, its very annoying for me and my rp friends, any advice?

Yetzederixx

Re: Mudlet is not responding or telling me when its link dead?

Post by Yetzederixx »

I'm having this very same problem. Had a service technician here twice and finally replaced my modem, but to no avail.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

That's not a Mudlet issue, but a wireless LAN hardware or configuration issue. If th modem drops the connection, Mudlet (or any other program) is simply not informed about it. It's the same as if you cut the network cable. The router needs to be configured to never drop the link. If this doesn't help you need to setup some keep alive timer in Mudlet and send some data over the connection to keep up the link.

ella

Post by ella »

so what would that be under? flow control? whats it called?

Yetzederixx

Post by Yetzederixx »

My modem, new and old, don't allow changes... Plus there's nothing in my router config I could find.

That said, this problem doesn't just happen when I'm idle. It'll happen right in the middle of pvp when I'm spamming commands rapidly, so it shouldn't be a keep alive issue.

Yetzederixx

Post by Yetzederixx »

I'll give it a test later tonight and direct connect to the modem and see if that helps.

Yetzederixx

Post by Yetzederixx »

So I've been on for like 5 hours and haven't dc'd once, but it doesn't make much sense to me that it would drop over wireless honestly, nor that it would do so while not idle.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

The problem with dropping the connection is the underlying TCP/IP implementation of the operating system in conjunction with the telnet protocol. There is no software solution for this problem. You'd get the same problems with a telnet console or with an ssh or ftp connection. This is a common hardware problem of wireless LANs and can only be settled if you manage to keep up the connection throught the entire playing session because we have absolutely no way to find out if the connection got interrupted in order to reconnect automatically. Without a proper reconnection all commands will end up in nirvana and never reach the destination and neither the server nor Mudlet has any means to identify the problem.

ella

Post by ella »

thanks everyone